Gut Check: Know Your Medicine recognizes the millions of Americans who suffer from pain. Pain is personal and no one knows and understands your pain like you do.
- What is pain? Pain, particularly chronic pain, affects your life and sometimes keeps you from being able to do what you want and need to do. There are many causes of aches and pains — headaches, toothaches, fever, flu, muscle aches and back aches. Other causes include joint pain from osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, tendinitis, and bursitis.
- Who suffers from pain? 25.3 million Americans suffer from daily pain*
- How do I safely manage pain? We know that you want to be comfortable and enjoy life, and try to do what’s needed to better control your pain. Follow these tips:
- Read and follow your medicine labels.
- Know what you are taking and only take one product at a time containing the same active ingredient.
- Talk to your health-care provider if you have questions
- Where can I go for answers? Talk to your health-care provider and refer to GutCheckFacts.org so you can play an important role in protecting your and your own family’s health.
*Nahin RL. Estimates of pain prevalence and severity in adults: United States, 2012. Journal of Pain. 2015;16(8):769-780.